am a visual artist and researcher with a background in visual arts and solid state chemistry. My theoretical, visual, respectively practice based research activities in the context of art are bundled in my new studio in Biel/Bienne, Switzerland.
I plan research projects in the Senegal. The goal is to establish an artist color lab in the suburbs of Dakar as part of the Institut für WERKstoffe, for researching plant based resources in the tropics, home-grown art materials considering food security, respectively food safety, raw materials resources, income generation.
- 2012 - 2013, guest researcher at the
Competence Center for Arts Materials Reseach, Lucerne University of Applied Science and Art.
- 02/2000 – 12/2011
Researcher at the Laboratory for Inorganic Chemistry, ETH Zurich in the solid state research group of Prof. Dr. Reinhard Nepser.
Lecturer, introduction to structural chemistry (2007-2010).
Research on space structures in art, design, architecture, and materials sciences.
Visual research of crystal structures.
Design of new media materials for communicating chemistry.
- 10/1998 – 01/ 2001
Member of the artist curating team and managing board of the “Künstlerhaus Dortmund”, an artist-led atelier and exhibition space.
Curatorial practice and organization of exhibitions such as „VOUS ETES ICI“.
- 04/1998 – 09/1998 Max Planck Institute for Solid State Research, Stuttgart
Postdoctoral researcher, solid state chemistry, group of Prof. Dr. Martin Jansen.
- 11/1994 – 03/1998 PhD researcher, Natural Science, Max Planck Institute for Solid State Research, Stuttgart, Germany, in the group of Dr. Dres. h.c. Hans Georg von Schnering.
Thesis: Konstruktion, Analyse und Graphische Darstellung von Interpenetrierenden Netzen in Translationsgittern.
- 1992 – 1994 Course instructor: visual arts (Painting, drawing on canvas, techniques on paper; working with pigments) Jungendkulturhaus Mitte, and Kunstschule Filderstadt, Stuttgart, Germany
- Member of Visarte Biel, the professional association of visual artists in Switzerland.
- Member of the “Commission on Crystallography in Art and Cultural Heritage” (CrysAC) of the “International Union of Crystallography“ (IUCr), www.crysac.visual-chemistry.net.
Awards and Grants:
- 2015 Studio grant, city of Biel, research residency in Cairo and Giza, Egypt.
- 2013 Werkbetrag der Stadt Biel für "AROUND LAKE BIEL" Projektstart: Frühjahr 2014.
- 2007 Hans Herloff Inhoffen Prize by the Ernst Schering Foundation, and the com-mission on chemistry teaching of the German Chemical Society (GDCh) for “pioneering work in the visualization of chemical structures”.
- 10/2004 – 11/2004 “Art, Science & Business” grant, Akademie Schloss Solitude Stuttgart, Germany.
- 11/1994 – 11/1997 Atelier Grant of the county Baden-Württemberg, Germany.